"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder,
spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
--e. e. cummings
.Resources & Links
Children, Youth & Families
- What is Motivational Interviewing: Motivational Interviewing.org (MINT); Motivational Interviewing is a form of collaborative conversation that strengthens a individual's own motivation and commitment to change. http://www.motivationalinterviewing.org/
- Hold Me Tight by Dr. Sue Johnson: The stories, new ideas and exercises offered in Hold Me Tight are based on the new science of love and the wisdom of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT). EFT is a short-term, structured approach to marital and couples therapy. http://www.holdmetight.net/
- The Five Love Languages: Dr. Gary Chapman guides couples in identifying, understanding, and speaking their spouse's primary love language. This site offers books, resources and quizzes. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
- Dr. John Gottman along with his wife, also a PhD , have facilitated ground-breaking work with couples. They have written several helpful books. http://www.gottman.com/
- Dr. Hendrix wrote a popular book called Getting the Love You Want which helps couples learn what each person brings into the relationship, and how to interact. http://www.harvillehendrix.com/
LGBTQ Youth & Families
- Portland Outright: Portland Outright is a youth-driven program that offers support and services to LGBTQQ+ and Allied young people in the greater Portland, Maine area. http://thriveinitiative.org/portland-outright/
- GLSEN: The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. GLSEN is a national education organization making schools safer for ALL students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. http://www.glsen.org/chapters/southernme
- PFLAG: PFLAG Portland, Maine offers compassionate peer support to the parents, families and friends of, and including, LGBTQ individuals through group discussion, education, advocacy and creating connections to community resources. http://www.pflagportlandmaine.org/
- Trans Youth Equality: Provides Education, advocacy and support for transgender youth and their families. http://www.transyouthequality.org/
Local Information and Hotlines:
Dial 2-1-1 for the same information.
- Maine Suicide Prevention Hotline: If you are concerned about yourself or about somebody else, call the crisis hotline at 1-888-568-1112.
- Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-83-4HELP (4357)
- Statewide Sexual Assault Confidential Crisis and Support Line: 1-800-871-7741 (TTY 1-888-458-5599)
- Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine: (SARSSM) has been providing free and confidential services to victims of sexual assault since 1973.
24 hours Crisis and Support line: 1-800-313-9900. http://www.sarsonline.org/
In York County, 207-568-1112. http://www.smmc.org/medical-services-overview/behavioral-health