"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder,
spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
--e. e. cummings
.Resources & Links
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy: http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=135
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network: http://www.nctsn.org/
- The Center for Grieving Children: A wonderful resource for children and families who have experienced a death of a loved one. It is located in Portland. http://www.cgcmaine.org
- Dan Siegal: Great resource that provides a scientifically grounded, integrated view of human development for mental health practitioners, educators, organizational leaders, parents, and others to promote the growth of vibrant lives and healthy minds. Check out the Whole Brain Child or Parenting from the Inside Out. http://www.drdansiegel.com
- What is Motivational Interviewing: Motivational Interviewing.org (MINT); Motivational Interviewing is a form of collaborative conversation that strengthens a individual's own motivation and commitment to change. http://www.motivationalinterviewing.org/
- Hold Me Tight by Dr. Sue Johnson: The stories, new ideas and exercises offered in Hold Me Tight are based on the new science of love and the wisdom of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT). EFT is a short-term, structured approach to marital and couples therapy. http://www.holdmetight.net/
- The Five Love Languages: Dr. Gary Chapman guides couples in identifying, understanding, and speaking their spouse's primary love language. This site offers books, resources and quizzes. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
- Dr. John Gottman along with his wife, also a PhD , have facilitated ground-breaking work with couples. They have written several helpful books. http://www.gottman.com/
- Dr. Hendrix wrote a popular book called Getting the Love You Want which helps couples learn what each person brings into the relationship, and how to interact. http://www.harvillehendrix.com/
LGBTQ Youth & Families
- Portland Outright: Portland Outright is a youth-driven program that offers support and services to LGBTQQ+ and Allied young people in the greater Portland, Maine area. http://thriveinitiative.org/portland-outright/
- GLSEN: The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. GLSEN is a national education organization making schools safer for ALL students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. http://www.glsen.org/chapters/southernme
- PFLAG: PFLAG Portland, Maine offers compassionate peer support to the parents, families and friends of, and including, LGBTQ individuals through group discussion, education, advocacy and creating connections to community resources. http://www.pflagportlandmaine.org/
- Trans Youth Equality: Provides Education, advocacy and support for transgender youth and their families. http://www.transyouthequality.org/
Local Information and Hotlines:
Dial 2-1-1 for the same information.
- Maine Suicide Prevention Hotline: If you are concerned about yourself or about somebody else, call the crisis hotline at 1-888-568-1112.
- Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-83-4HELP (4357)
- Statewide Sexual Assault Confidential Crisis and Support Line: 1-800-871-7741 (TTY 1-888-458-5599)
- Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine: (SARSSM) has been providing free and confidential services to victims of sexual assault since 1973.
24 hours Crisis and Support line: 1-800-313-9900. http://www.sarsonline.org/
In York County, 207-568-1112. http://www.smmc.org/medical-services-overview/behavioral-health